Tuesday, January 17, 2012

REVIEW: IRON FEY: THE IRON QUEEN BY JULIE KAGAWA

I was finally able to finish The Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa last night. It’s the third book from The Iron Fey Series. Again the story centers around Meghan, Ash and Puck.



The novel starts with Meghan and Ash as they journey through the mortal world after being banished by Oberon and Mab from their respective kingdoms. The Winter and Summer courts are at war with the Iron Kingdom and soon Meghan and Ash find themselves back to their realms despite their banishment. And oh yeah, Puck was banished as well after defying the Summer King all for the sake of freakin’ love. haha.

Again, I liked Meghan in this book. Seriously, she never irritated or annoyed me in any of the novels and I commend Julie Kagawa for that. She’s not a wimp. She’s powerful and probably one of the smartest YA girls I’ve ever encountered. She knows how to bargain and she knows how to get what she wants despite the protests of Ash and Puck. haha. Anyway, I could never really hate Meghan, she sacrificed a lot and I think she deserves to be happy in the end.

And then, there’s Ash. I really like Ash in all of the novels. I love the fact that he’s not a wimp. I think all of the characters in this series are well written. None of them were forced or anything. Anyway, I think Ash is such a gentleman and an excellent knight. haha. I found his parts especially at the end heartbreaking. I actually wanted to get inside the damn book and give him a hug.

And of course, there’s Puck. I find his bickering with Ash and another character, which I won’t mention as not to spoil anyone who has not read this yet, hilarious. I find myself laughing whenever I’m reading Puck’s scenes. He also broke my heart in the end part though. I seriously love all of the characters from this book.
Lastly, there’s Grimalkin. The adorable cait sith, cat, guide etc. My eyes kinda’ teared up a bit when he left. I love that cat. He can be cold and demeaning at times but I just can’t help but find him adorable.

So, moving on, I seriously loved this book. I think I could’ve finished this in one day if only I had nothing else to do but read. I didn’t want to put it down. I love the fact that Meghan developed into a strong heroine who could actually kick ass. I love the fact that Ash and Puck were with her until the very end. I also love the way their love triangle was written. Not too cliche and not forced. I felt sorry for Puck. I wanted to hug him or something. I missed Ironhorse too. Whenever he was mentioned, I simply could not help but cry a bit. I feel sad that he had to die in the second book but I guess his death was necessary anyway. Overall, I enjoyed reading this book and I can’t wait to get started on The Iron Knight. And yes, it’s gonna be told in Ash’s perspective. 

Rating: 5/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment