Thursday, February 23, 2012

REVIEW: WICKED LOVELY #5: DARKEST MERCY BY MELISSA MARR

I was finally able to get my hands on Melissa Marr’s fifth and final installment for the Wicked Lovely Series, Darkest Mercy. I finished it yesterday but could not make a review since my internet was acting a little weird. Anyhoo, all of the main characters from the previous novels were present or at least mentioned in the book so I could literally say that the story revolved around each and everyone of them.



The faerie courts are at war with Bananach, the faerie of War and Discord. I seriously hated her when the fourth book ended. I wanted to strangle her or something because of what she did to Iri. And at this point of the series my need to strangle her did not waiver. Seriously, it felt like I was riding a roller coaster while I read. There were times when the book made me smile and a lot more times when the book just broke my heart.

I think the characters were written very well. Especially, Keenan and Ash. I think they grew up a lot. This book certainly made me change the way I look at Keenan. He sacrificed a lot for his court and the love of his life. True, maybe he should have done whatever it is that he did from the very start but I liked the fact that he did try to do whatever it is that he did. Yes, I am being vague with my statement because I don’t want to spoil anyone who hasn’t read this series yet. I think everyone who reads this will just see Keenan in a different light once they read this book.


Irial and Niall literally broke my heart though. Niall literally broke down when… No. I will not say it. Let’s just say that he was devastated because of what happened to the point of almost losing his grasp on what’s real and not. I loved Keenan/Niall and Seth/Niall friendship. I think it’s one of the strongest bonds in the entire series. It did come to a point when they weren’t exactly in good terms but in the end their friendship prevailed.

I loved Ash as well in this book. I think she grew up a lot considering that she had to rule her court on her own after Keenan and Seth disappeared. I actually think she grew up to be one of the strongest characters in the series. Her volatility and temperaments made her a good Summer Queen.

And of course, how could I forget Donia. I actually liked Donia even more here. I think she was the only one who kept her head cool. Both figuratively and literally since she’s the Winter Queen and all. haha. Anyway, I think she deserved her happy ending. Personally, I think everyone deserved their happy endings. The characters went through so much and I loved that Ms. Marr gave them all what they deserved.

I think the author did a great job at writing this story with all of the characters from the previous books in mind. It didn’t seem too crowded for a book that had A LOT of main characters. And their endings didn’t seem rushed or anything. I think all of the characters deserved whatever it is that happened to them. Anyway, just watch out for two new characters, the siblings, Far Dorcha and Ankou.

RATING: 4.5/5 STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment