Monday, March 5, 2012

REVIEW: BEWITCHING BY ALEX FLINN

I was finally able to finish Bewitching by Alex Flin yesterday before going to work. Yes, I have been that busy. 7 night shifts straight. I just want to read and sleep. Anyhoo, this is the story of Kendra, the witch form Beastly by the same author and the stepsisters Emma and Lisette. It tells us how much immortality sucks and the the story of a misunderstood person.



Truth be told, I didn’t exactly enjoy this during the first half of the novel. But I did like it as I neared the ending. I think Kendra’s just adorable. And I liked the fact that she’s not the typical evil witch bitch. I honestly enjoyed reading her story. There were teary eyed moments during the first half but still not enough to call this a melodramatic novel. I liked the fact that I was able to understand Kendra’s character even more.

Then there were two stepsisters involved.No, they are not her stepsisters. They’re just stepsisters.There’s Emma. The plain Jane. I liked the fact that Ms. Flinn made this into another modern re-telling of a fairytale,which is of course Cinderella, with a twist. Just read it since I don’t want to spoil anyone.

Then there’s of course the other stepsister, Lisette.Yes, she is the pretty one.I think the twist is their sisterhood is kinda cute in a way. I don’t want to say anything else other than I enjoyed flipping through the pages because of their dynamics and interactions.

Basically, I enjoyed reading this book but not as much as I enjoyed Alex Flinn’s A Kiss In Time. That is probably my most favorite Alex Flinn novel. But as I got deeper in the story I actually found myself immersed in it completely. I liked unpredictable ending BTW. The story was told in Emma’s POV with some inputs from Kendra. Either way, I’d recommend this book to fans of Beastly and other modern day fairytale re-telling.

RATING: 4/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment