Wednesday, April 4, 2012

BOOK REVIEW: HIS EYES BY RENEE CARTER

So last night I decided to try reading more contemporary novels after I finished Because Of Low by Abbi Glines since I've got nothing better to do. haha. Nah, it's the holy week and it's time to reflect but I can't actually reflect on anything since I'm pretty much distracted by a lot of books so yeah, holy week=epic fail. And besides, I've been reading too much dystopian novels these past few months it's time to change genres. And that's when I found His Eyes by Renee Carter. The story's main characters are Tristan, a blind equestrian player/ rider/ whatever and Amy, his hired babysitter.

Truth be told, I wasn't exactly looking forward to reading this book and I decided to put it on hold for a while since I'm not really into contemporary YA's. I'm more of a Sci-Fi, Paranormal and Dystopian kind of girl but then I needed a change of pace and thus I decided to read this one. I actually enjoyed reading this book and I ended up reading it in one sitting. Haha. That's been happening a lot lately actually.

First of all, I liked Amy. She's a regular girl who is simply trying to make her way and somehow I could relate to her. She's not whiny and she's definitely not pathetic like some female heroines from novels that I've read in the past. She was honest and she had this conflicts and stuff but somehow the author made her believable. I found her personality very refreshing after reading a lot of dystopians these past months. I honestly enjoyed reading from her POV. I did want to smack her at one point but as the story progressed I actually found myself loving her character even more.

Then of course, there's Tristan. Oh boy, did I want to smack him in the beginning. But somehow, I found myself falling for this character. I mean he went through a lot of things in the past year and I do believe that those things can definitely change a person. As the story progressed I think my love for Tristan's character grew. He acted the way he did because he was hurt, afraid, hopeless and a lot more other things that I can't even begin to comprehend. I wanted to get in there and hug him and tell him that everything would turn out all right. I think Amy helped him cope in a lot of ways.

Bottom line is, I liked the novel. I sure did. I ended up reading it in one day. haha. I know it's kinda' cliche like the typical RICH-BOY-FALLS-IN-LOVE-WITH-POOR-GIRL kind of thing but somehow stories like these have worked for me. I love cliche love stories. I am a girl after all and I love happy endings. I think this is a breath of fresh air after reading heavy dystopians these past few months. The book is not just about a teenybopper love story. It's about living life itself. Learning that it can be difficult and rough but we all just have to deal with it.

Rating: 5/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment