Tuesday, January 29, 2013

BOOK REVIEW: Article 5 (Article 5 #1) by Kristen Simmons

As some of you might know I'm a big fan of the dystopian genre and majority of my library consists of dystopian paperbacks. I got my paperback of Article 5 by Kristen Simmons a week ago and finally got to reading it last weekend and finished it today. So yeah, I'm still in the process of letting everything sink in. I've been meaning to read this since last year but just couldn't get around to doing so since there weren't any paperbacks yet and hardbounds are really pricey so yeah I opted to wait for this one. I might not wait for the paperback of Breaking Point anymore though. Haha.


To start with I have this love-hate relationship with Ember, the female protagonist. The first few chapters made me feel so bad for her. Especially when they arrested her mom and everything. I think I would've reacted worse. I can't imagine that being done to me and my mother. But then during the middle part of the book I just can't help but be annoyed by her. Don't get me wrong. I like her but there were times when she just kept on getting frustrating and everything. I know she still doesn't trust Chase and she's been through a lot but she just refuses to listen. And she couldn't even defend herself at that point in the novel so yeah, she kinda' puts Chase and herself at risk most of the time. But towards the end when she found out about everything (I won't say what that everything is so as not to spoil the book. Let's just keep it at "everything". Haha.) I felt really bad for her again. In the end though, I ended up admiring her. She certainly did a lot of growing up and I think she's one of those characters that had a good character development.

Moving on to Chase Jennings. The boy Ember loved and also the MM who arrested her mother. I loved his protective side even if FBR seriously left him broken. I love the fact that he's a kick-ass character who knows how to defend himself and Ember and think even if he is under pressure. And that's why I love male characters more even if I am a girl in real life. He was rational even if he is kinda' brutish. Well, he is a trained FBR officer so yeah, I guess that goes with the package. Anyway, I think his life story-scratch that. Ember and his- story is just heartbreaking. But their scenes together just made me want to root for them from the very first page. 

More or less, I really enjoyed reading this book. I couldn't exactly put it down even when I felt so sleepy since I was still reading this at 3am in my bed. It was fast paced and full of action, drama and romance. The world Kristen Simmons created scared the crap out of me though. I can't imagine living in a world where my rights are revoked and only a certain number of people had the power to make decisions for you. I felt bad and it made me actually love our world right now. A world where we have rights and everyone is treated as almost equal citizens. Let's face it. Sometimes people with money are treated better than those who have less. Anyway, this opened my eyes to how our society today is so much better than what could possibly happen if people keep on starting wars and chaos everywhere. I'd recommend this to those people who enjoy awesome dystopian novels. This is probably one of the best I've read so far and I can't wait to get my hands on Breaking Point. 

 Rating: 5/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment