Saturday, February 2, 2013

BOOK REVIEW: Rules of Attraction (Perfect Chemistry #2) by Simone Elkeles

As I have mentioned in my review of Perfect Chemistry, I managed to finish its sequel Rules of Attraction in the same day. And just because I feel like writing right now I'll post another review. The novel is written in the same format as its predecessor which means it's told in dual POV's. This time around Carlos, Alex's younger brother, and Kiara are the main focus of the novel wherein Alex and Brittany are side characters. It's picks up after two years from the previous novel.


To begin with, Kiara is the exact opposite of Brittany from the previous novel so it doesn't necessarily mean that it's just a copycat of the first one. Kiara is flawed and is most likely one of the least popular kids in school. She has a gay best friend called Tuck who happens to be so adorable btw. She has the perfect home life which is the exact opposite from Brittany's as well. Anyway, enough introductions. I really liked Kiara's character. I think she's one of those people who really needs to be educated on being bad. I do get the fact that she collaborated with Tuck to prank Carlos in the novel but other than that the girl is a saint. She always looks out for the welfare of everyone and she's just so lovable, down to earth and adorable. She does need a little help in the wardrobe department but other than that she's an awesome girl. The girl does not even have dark thoughts until she met Carlos and her world is turned upside down.

Moving on to Carlos. To be honest, I disliked Carlos a bit during the first few chapters of the novel. He had too much teen angst in my opinion. He lashed out at everyone even to those who are so nice to him and keeps on having these self-pity thoughts because of his Latino heritage (I honestly can't figure out why.) and his past while at the same time projecting a bad boy image which seems so contradictory. I really wanted to strangle him for being so mean to everyone. But as the story progressed I actually learned to appreciate him more. Though I'm still biased since I still can't get over Alex. But the fact that he had a change of heart made me love him towards the end. I think he developed into a well-written  character towards the end.

Overall, I also enjoyed this as much as the first one. I love the bickering between the characters though I still enjoyed Alex and Brittany's more since it was always two sided. There were times when Kiara is just stunned because she's intimidated by Carlos or something but other than that I enjoyed getting to know the younger Fuentes and Kiara. I enjoyed the parts where they were interacting in any way. I also appreciate the fact that Simone Elkeles does not seem to be a fan of the insta-love concept. That's just too stereotypical for YA novels nowadays. I like relationships that are well developed. It makes it more real to me. I love her writing style too. I can't explain what it is but I never came to a point there I got bored as I read. Again, an easy 5/5 stars for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment