Tuesday, March 5, 2013

BOOK REVIEW: Leaving Paradise (Leaving Paradise #1) by Simone Elkeles

I finally got my copy of Leaving Paradise after month of waiting for it. I really loved Simone's Perfect Chemistry Series and when I love an author reading her other works is definitely a must. So I ordered this a month ago as soon as I finished reading Perfect Chemistry. The novel is written in alternating POV's between Caleb and Maggie.

I must admit that I'm still letting the story sink in. My God. This is probably one of her best work to date. I really got into it. It was about finding love in the most unexpected places, forgiveness and a lot more other things. I really liked the chemistry between Caleb and Maggie. Both of them are seriously screwed up after everything they've been through. The first 2 or 3 chapters in Caleb's POV made me think that he was such an ass for doing what he did to Maggie and I found myself feeling really bad for Maggie. She didn't deserve everything that's happened to her and the way her so-called friends treated her was just inexcusable. But I did think that she is a very strong person for going through life after everything that's happened. I really liked both Maggie and Caleb. Admittedly, I didn't fall in love with Caleb from the get-go but as the story progressed and as I started to get to know Caleb more I knew I was falling for him. Hard. Anyway, both are awesome characters and are very inspirational in their own way. I usually hate girls with insecurities but for some reason I really loved Maggie. I got her. For some reason, I truly understand where all these insecurities and barricades are coming from.

Overall, I was immersed in this novel. I don't really know if I was happy or sad or whatever. I have mixed feelings. There were moments that made my lips form a smile and my heart flutter. But there were also moments that broke my heart and made me cry. I was inspired. I was in awe. This is such a wonderful story that I can't even begin to describe how I feel about it. I liked most of the characters even if I did dislike some namely Kendra and Leah. I think both are really selfish and I just wanted to strangle them both. The revelation towards the end simply broke my heart. I was teary-eyed to be totally honest. I don't have enough words to describe how much I love this novel but I can confidently say that this is one is on the top of my all  time favorites. I just love all of her novels. I always finish her books in one day. I'd skip eating  and going on toilet breaks if I could. Haha. I'd give this an easy 5/5 stars. And I am a certified Simone Elkeles fan.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you SO MUCH for your review! I'm so thrilled that you loved Maggie and Caleb! I loved writing Leaving Paradise and I was so happy when my publisher let me write Return to Paradise as the sequel! I'm sorry the end broke your heart, but if you read Return to Paradise, I think it will make you feel better! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I've read Return to Paradise as well. Loved it too. Here's the link to that one. http://leighandherlibrary.blogspot.com/2013/03/book-review-return-to-paradise-leaving.html

      Delete