Monday, March 25, 2013

BOOK REVIEW: Saving June by Hannah Harrington

Saving June would be my first Hannah Harrington novel. I was actually very excited to read this even though I'm not really a big fan of tearjerkers. I'm actually a very happy person but from time to time I also want to get in touch with my emotional side. Anyway, the story is told in Harper, June's younger sister's, POV.


This was a very quick read for me since it was only 200 something pages and to be honest it was really well-written as well. The story starts of during June's funeral and is narrated by Harper. I really loved Harper. She appears to be really unemotional with regards to her sister's unexpected death but deep inside she was really hurting. She feels like she has to fill her sister's shoes now that she's gone, her family is falling apart and for some reason she feels so lost so she decides to do one last thing for her sister. Her best friend Laney and Jake, a friend of June's, decides to accompany her on this road trip that she decided to go to. Anyway, I really enjoyed the road trip aspect of the story. Kinda' reminded me of Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson and Two*Way Street by Lauren Barnholdt. I loved all of the characters. Harper was strong and very loyal to her friend. The same goes with Laney. And the fact that she tried to be strong for Harper even if she was going through some stuff as well really touched me. As for Jake, seriously Jake is such a dream boat. He hid some things that I guess he shouldn't have but he is just so dreamy. I just can't find it in my heart to dislike him.

Anyhow, I don't really want to spoil anything so I'll just keep this short. The novel is a very quick read. It was written in a way wherein the more depressing or rather emotional aspect of the story was turned into something a bit happier. I really loved reading it. The only person I probably hated quite a bit was Aunt Helen. I think she likes sticking her nose in other people's business too much. I know she wasn't trying to be evil or anything but sometimes too much is just too much. The novel wasn't just about love and all the simple crap. It was much more deeper than that. I think the issues tackled in this novel are really relevant in our society today. Anyway, I would definitely read more from Hannah Harrington.

RATING: 4/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment